Sunday, 26 April 2015

Writing Family History: Taking the Plunge



I've been on the hunt for clues to finding my ancestors for about 5 years now and I've accumulated hundred of people in my family tree. But like many people, I have never quite got my information organized in a way that anyone else might understand.

But as of today, right now, I am taking the plunge.

Why Today?

Yesterday I went to a genealogy fair at the Kitchener Public Library with Keynote Speaker Lynn Palermo, also known as the Armchair Genealogist.

Mary Emiliana Labelle Prieur 

I was thinking her name sounded familiar and during her talk - it clicked. She's related to me! 


My grandmother, Mary Louise Ida Prieur Ireland is her great-grandmother Annie Prieur Vaillancourt's sister.

At the right is our shared ancestor Mary Emiliana Labelle Prieur. She looks quite serious in this photo. I have heard that she enjoyed smoking a corn cob when at home on the farm.


The Prieur family moved to Markstay Ontario, about 1901. They were some of the first settlers in what was then called New Ontario. There are still many Prieur descendants living in the area today.



 
I was inspired by Lynne's passionate talk about writing your family's story as creative non-fiction.  I decided to buy the first 2 books in her writing series: Getting Ready to Write and Authentic Ancestors.


I'm starting with Getting Ready to Write.  It's a great resource for learning more about creative non-fiction and how to get started writing it.  


I decided that I will store my ideas in a blog so that I won't forget them. So let's see what happens!

If it looks like you're related to me, or if you want to blog along with me, I'd love to hear from you!


Getting Ready to Write Workbook



Next Step: Brainstorming Genres







1 comment:

  1. This picture was in the Markstay centennial book along with a picture of her husband Joseph and the log home they had built. Taking the plunge is the first step...getting out of the water is the hard part...This gen stuff can completely become overwhelming especially if you like history. Have fun...

    ReplyDelete